Trans Canada Highway - the planning begins
Happy New Year to you all!
It is January 1st and my goal for this year is to ride the Trans-Canada Highway through the south-eastern provinces, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia - Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland.
Wikipedia is great place to get your first lesson about the Trans-Canada highway system. I thought that the Trans-Canada Highway was just one r e a l l y long road under federal jurisdiction. I was wrong. If you want to go from Victoria, British Columbia to St. Johns, Newfoundland, you will traverse a network of highways that are governed by the individual provinces.
I'll be using this extraordinary Trip and Vacation Planner website for the Trans-Canada Highway. You can look at the itinerary segments on Google maps (choice of satellite, map, hybrid or terrain views) for the entire highway system, broken up by province, with elevation details and mileage. You can navigate across maps or by pull-down menu. Itineraries have links to attractions, accommodations. I was delighted to see a list of "known speed traps" on the Nova Scotia page. The information that any traveler wants is right up front:
- Overview of the highway, a detailed travel itinerary, and trip planning suggestions.
- Weather conditions, with "normals" and forecasts along the highway as well as road conditions
- Information about geography, flora & forests, fauna & wildlife, and agriculture (both plants & animals) that you may see in between the cities & towns along the way.
- Route itineraries in handy 200-300 km segments to facilitate trip planning (in both miles and kilometres)
- Getting to & from Toronto, Canada's largest city not on the Trans-Canada Highway
This trip will be a combination of tent and credit card camping. I'm particularly interested in open spaces, I love being around wildlife. If you have traveled on the Trans-Canadian Highway system through the south-central and south-eastern provinces and have suggestions about your favorite routes or places to see or stay at, please let me know.